Onions are more than a delicious vegetable used to kick food dishes up another notch.
In fact, onions contain a chemical called sulfur. Studies show that sulfur has antifungal properties that help heal scalp infections which contribute to hair loss. Sulfites are the reason your eyes sting when you chop onions in case inquiring minds wanted to know.
Dandruff a common scalp affliction can be controlled and treated with a gentle shampoo or in more severe cases a medicated shampoo. But, if you’re looking for an easy homemade remedy, I’ve got you covered.
Try these 2 recipes for six hair afflictions that onion juice can help. By comparison, people are also using the remedy to promote hair growth.
Let’s first talk about a common affliction that I experienced as a small child. Did you know studies show that more than 3 million people suffer from dandruff? I still remember my classmates remarks about the white, flaky, substance sitting on top of my hair and scalp.
The biggest impact was around the perimeter of my head so there was no way to hide dandruff. I kept my hair and scalp as greasy as possible to avoid dandruff break-outs. But the grease only added to the itchy scalp and made it worse.
I still remember the embarrassment and attempts to act invisible around classmates, to avoid uncomfortable questions about my scalp condition. I’ve now gotten dandruff under control and choosing a gentle shampoo more wisely is key for managing my condition.
Now, my personal story is out of the way. Here, are the onion juice recipes for the other five hair afflictions as promised. The elixir must be used for at least 3 months depending on the condition of your hair and scalp.
5 onions, sliced
- In a saucepan, bring 1 liter of water to a boil over high heat. Stir in onions. For added benefits add an oil e.g. coconut, olive oil, castor oil, et cetera.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, until onions are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Allow onion juice to cool down. Carefully, drain the juice into a glass jar for future use.
- Pour the juice into a spray bottle or saturate a cotton pad with the onion juice.
- Spray on hair or use the cotton pad to dab your scalp with the juice. Massage for a couple of minutes.
- Leave the juice on hair about 15 minutes to an hour.
- Wash your hair with a gentle shampoo. Rinse thoroughly
Note: Here is another variation instead of boiling water:
2-3 onions, chop into small pieces.
- Put onions in a blender or food processor to extract the juice
- Pour the juice into a glass jar for further use.
- Follow the application procedures in the first recipe.
Hormones play an important part in regulating the hair growth cycle, and when a hormonal imbalance occurs some of the below hair and scalp afflictions may develop. Below are the six hair and scalp afflictions and each one have a brief description. I am not a doctor nor do I work in the medical field. I simply know individuals with these conditions, and I have experienced some conditions myself.
It is a common scalp condition but can usually be controlled. It’s white, dry, and flaky skin that causes an itchy scalp.
- Dry or Brittle hair
Dry hair is a condition that can be treated. Overexposure to the sun and cold weather can strip hair of its natural oils. Shampoos that are too harsh can also cause dry or brittle hair, and of course, hormonal changes caused by birth control pills, menopause or pregnancy just to name a few.
- Hair Loss
Alopecia can cause hair loss, but so can stressful situations, genetics, hormonal imbalance to name a few. It is also reported that women’s iron deficiency may also cause hair loss.
Related Hair Hacks:
Note: Your welcome to share this article on your website or social media. If you do share it, be sure to include a link back to this post. Enjoy!